Educational Materials for Riders and Safety Advocates
Useful Information for Distribution and Presentations
- Riding SMART! (Sept/Oct 2014) - a downloadable special edition of SMARTER's newsletter is a quick reference that (1) summarizes quality research and/or literature reviews related to helmet use and helmet-use laws, (2) provides a brief history of helmet use and helmet-use laws, and (3) reviews the components and goals of a comprehensive motorcyclist-safety program
- What You Should Know About Motorcycle Helmets - the Motorcycle Safety Foundation, as part of its Cycle Safety Information series, produced this four-page document explaining the basic construction of a helmet, how helmets work, and how to choose one that fits
- Bogus Helmets: What You Know Could Save Your Life! - the Washington State Patrol, in cooperation with the Washington Traffic Safety Commission, produced this four-page helmet-shopping guide to explain the differences between real helmets that have been manufactured to meet DOT standards and fake, novelty-style helmets with thin shells
- Why Should You Wear a Full-face Helmet? - this "wear your helmet" poster prepared by Jeff Dean shows the helmet worn by Dave Swisher, a 1.1-million-mile BMW rider, after he suffered a crash, along with schematic diagrams of the impact areas on crash-involved motorcycle helmets
- Motorcycle Safety: How to Save Lives and Save Money - the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention produced this 26-page guide to inform readers about the public health significance of motorcycle crashes, the best way protect riders (showing the anatomy of a helmet and what helmets do to prevent injuries), how states compare with one another in terms of motorcycle-related deaths and economic costs, and what can be done to increase motorcyclist safety
- Motorcycle Helmet Research -Studies Show Helmets Save Lives and Reduce Injuries and that All-Rider Helmet Laws Are a Scientifically Proven Lifesaving Intervention. SMARTER has compiled a Research Reference List regarding motorcycle and motorcycle helmet law effectiveness including economic impacts.
Informative Materials About Helmets Created by SMARTER
Motorcycle Helmets: Common Myths and the Facts
SMARTER created this trifold brochure to refute seven common myths that are often used by helmet law opponents to mislead lawmakers, the general public, and even other motorcyclists to think that wearing a helmet increases injuries and contributes to crash causation.
Click on image to view full content. The linked document is for viewing only. E-mail requests for preprinted color copies to email@example.com.
Also available is a text-only version.
Motorcycle Helmets: Know the Facts
This SMARTER-created three-panel brochure opens to a full page of text that briefly summarizes the conclusions of what is commonly known as the Hurt Report and cites other research that has been conducted throughout the years regarding the effectiveness of motorcycle helmets in saving lives, reducing length of rehabilitation, and preventing injuries and disabilities.
Click on image to view and print full content.
Motorcycle Helmets: Dollars and Cents
This companion SMARTER-created three-panel brochure opens to a full page of text that points to the research that shows helmet use reduces fatality rates, the probability and severity of head injuries, the cost of medical treatment, the length of hospital stays and rehabilitation, and the probability of long-term disability. It also explains about societal impact and insurance payouts and costs.
Click on image to view and print full content.
Full-size All the Gear All the Time poster measures 12 X 18 inches—perfect for your shop or classroom
E-mail poster requests to firstname.lastname@example.org, or click on image to print your own from PDF.
Motorcycle Helmet Laws
- Motorcycle Helmet Use Laws - this four-page January 2008 Traffic Safety Facts flier by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) summarizes key facts, legislative status, and cost savings of universal helmet laws, and provides reference citations in support, to encourage states to enact and enforce a law requiring all motorcycle operators and passengers to wear helmets meeting the Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard (FMVSS) 218
- Top Reasons Why Every State Should Pass an All-Rider Motorcycle Helmet Law - this one-page document by Advocates for Highway and Auto Safety succinctly delineates seven reasons in support of mandatory helmet laws
- All-Rider Motorcycle Helmet Laws Save Lives and Tax Dollars: A Rider's Personal Choice Stops Being Personal When It Ends Up Costing Us All - this one-page document by Advocates for Highway and Auto Safety reveals why repealing all-rider helmet laws is bad fiscal policy
- Universal Helmet Laws Reduce Injuries and Save Lives - this 14-page document resulted from a UCLA School of Public Health, Center for Injury Prevention, study that showed that a universal motorcycle helmet law is an effective and efficient traffic safety law that benefits society and individuals
- Motorcycle Helmets and Helmet Use Laws: Research Facts Every Rider and Legislator Needs to Know - this six-page Q&A document by the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety addresses 12 common concerns about helmet use and helmet laws and provides 30 reference citations
- Motorcycle Deaths in Five States Before and After Helmet Law Repeals - this chart by Advocates for Highway and Auto Safety is a graphic representation of the toll taken in lives lost after helmet law repeal in Arkansas, Florida, Kentucky, Louisiana, and Texas
Full Protective Gear
- Personal Protective Gear for the Motorcyclist - the Motorcycle Safety Foundation, as part of its Cycle Safety Information series, produced this four-page document describing all aspects of head-to-toe riding gear and protective apparel in varying weather conditions
- Protective Equipment for Riders - this 16-page booklet produced by the European Safer Urban Motorcycling (eSUM) Project offers clear guidelines on how to choose personal protective equipment and shows the evidence-based benefits of wearing jackets, trousers, footwear, gloves, and head and face protection
- Epic Journey - my struggle to ride by John Stockman. This story is not about an epic ride, rather it is the story of the immeasurable challenges John Stockman faced in order to ride. It is also the story of the sources of his strength, his realizations about the public perception of motorcycling and his resulting dedication to make a difference.