News of Interest to Motorcyclists
- Community Preventive Services Task Force Recommendations - the finding and rationale statement of an independent, nonfederal, unpaid panel of public health and prevention experts appointed by the director of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention whose evidence-based finding is that "universal helmet laws increase helmet use; decrease motorcycle-related fatal and non-fatal injuries; and are substantially more effective than no law or than partial motorcycle helmet laws…."
- GHSA 2014 Preliminary Data: GHSA projects the final motorcyclist fatality total for 2014 will be 4,584 - approximately 1.8 percent less than the 4,668 recorded in 2013. This will be the second straight year in which this number has decreased and only the third decrease since 1997. While the projected decline in motorcyclist fatalities is good news, the report points out that motorcycle safety progress lags behind that of other motor vehicles. For example, in 2013, the rate of motorcyclist fatalities per registered vehicle was about the same as in 1997. There is little evidence that risk factors for motorcyclists have been reduced in recent years, and fluctuations in motorcyclist fatalities are likely to have more to do with economic factors and weather patterns affecting exposure.
- Final Rule Amending Helmet Labeling Requirements - published August 13, 2012, in the Federal Register: The Daily Journal of the United States Government, the article discusses labeling and compliance amendments to FMVSS No. 218, effective May 13, 2013, that make it more difficult to misleadingly label novelty helmets and that aid in enforcing the standard by setting reasonable tolerances for certain test conditions, devices, and procedures
The new certification label will bear the manufacturer's name and helmet model and the words "DOT FMVSS No. 218 Certified."
- Helmet Use Among Motorcyclists Who Died in Crashes and Economic Cost Savings Associated With State Motorcycle Helmet Laws — United States, 2008–2010 - results of study released June 15, 2012, confirms previous findings that helmets save lives and money and universal helmet laws are the most effective way to increase helmet use
- New Study: No Progress in Reducing Motorcyclist Deaths: Strengthening Economy and Rising Gas Prices Don't Bode Well - a report released May 22, 2012, by the Governors Highway Safety Association projected that motorcyclist fatalities resulting from crashes occurring in 2011 would be about the same number (4,502) as in 2010
- Spotlight on Highway Safety: Motorcyclist Traffic Fatalities by State 2011 Preliminary Data - the full GHSA report
- Motorcycle Helmet Use in 2011—Overall Results - April 2012 Traffic Safety Facts Research Note – Summary of Statistical Findings compiled by NHTSA's Center for Statistics and Analysis
- Auto Safety Agency Urges Riders Not to Wear 5X5/SA-08 Helmets Sold by Tank Sports, Inc. - 2012 consumer advisory: NHTSA advises motorcyclists to discard these helmets immediately and not to use them while riding