Pending Legislation and the Motorcycle Rider
SMARTER Supports Measures that Benefit the Safety and Enjoyment of Motorcyclists
The Skilled Motorcyclist Association–Responsible, Trained and Educated Riders, Inc., supports:
- decisions, actions, and measures that broaden opportunities for motorcyclists to enjoy owning and using their motorcycle;
- decisions, actions, and measures to modify laws, rules, or procedures that prevent motorcyclists from benefiting from the same opportunities afforded to drivers of other types of vehicles; and
- decisions, actions, and measures that modify or enact laws, rules, or procedures that enhance and embrace components of a comprehensive motorcyclist safety program, including but not limited to mandatory helmet laws, licensure, and road construction and design.
SMARTER believes it is important for members nationwide to have access to and be aware of important motorcyclist issues and pending legislation. We do not have the resources to be able to research and post pending legislation of interest to motorcyclists at a national level and in each state, nor do we need to, as the American Motorcyclist Association (AMA) does an excellent job of this.
SMARTER encourages its members to use the AMA links below (1) to stay apprised of the various proposals, initiatives, and enactments that impact the motorcycling community and (2) to communicate a position of support or opposition to decision makers.
AMA has taken a position of support or opposition on many of the bills it has compiled on its website. SMARTER will not evaluate each piece of legislation and post a position. It should be noted that SMARTER differs philosophically from AMA. The American Motorcyclist Association is a “rights” association, whereas the Skilled Motorcyclist Association–Trained, Educated, and Responsible Riders is a motorcyclist safety education association. As such, we fully support the enactment and enforcement of universal helmet laws, and our position on many issues is NOT the same as the AMA position.
Legislation of Interest to Motorcylists
- Congressional Bills - the American Motorcyclist Association (AMA) has assembled key bills it deems of interest to motorcyclists that are pending in the U.S. Congress; return to top of page to toggle between congressional and state bills
- State Legislative Bills - the American Motorcyclist Association (AMA) has assembled key bills it deems of interest to motorcyclists that are pending in state legislatures; return to top of page to toggle between state and congressional bills